Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Traffic in Astoria

So, as I was walking home from the train, I noticed that all of the cars on 21st Street at the intersection of Astoria Park South were running the red light. After a minute or so of observation it became apparent that the traffic signal was broken; 21st Street was red and Astoria Park South was green and that was it. No change.

Now, this is a problem for several reasons. First, the potential for a vehicular collision was high. Duh. Second, that corner is the corner of a park. There are KIDS TRYING TO CROSS THE STREET, KIDS RIDING BIKES ACROSS THE STREET, and KIDS PLAYING NEAR THE STREET. Enormous potential for splatter and death. Third, the adult pedestrians (including me) aren't aware of what's going on because it's not apparent until you take a moment to watch and figure it out. If you're walking and talking on your cell you for sure won't notice what's going on until the cars are on top of you.

I called 311. They said that it would be TWO HOURS before the signal could be fixed. I called 911 to ask for someone to come and direct traffic four times. FOUR. TIMES. The cops came twice and drove away. What? The? Fuck?

I couldn't leave. O, my overdeveloped sense of responsibility. Another pedestrian put on his Good Samaritan hat and walked into the middle of the intersection to direct traffic, brave soul. Now I really couldn't leave.

All told, I was out there for an hour. When the Traffic Signal Repair Guy got there he said that the problem was Con Edison. The signals weren't getting enough voltage to work properly. So, he made them flash red on one side and yellow on the other. He also gave me his orange vest for the G.S. and I took it out to him.

When it was all over, G.S., T.S.R.G., and I parted ways. But I took some photos:







Coda: G.S. makes his living as a conductor.

No comments: